Tuesday, April 28, 2009

People I've Met in Houston Who've Influenced Me - William Cordova

I am down to my final days living Houston. After graduation, I will be in Austin for a few weeks, tying up some loose ends. . . then off to Brooklyn.

I have lived in Houston for almost 3 years now. Its a shame that I didn't become aware of what the local art scene had to offer until a year ago. However, the people I have met and the lessons I have learned will carry on with me wherever I go.

My chain of epiphany started when I met an artist named William Cordova. He is doing the things that I'd like to do when I grow up.

Up until that point, I was showing my art work as much as I thought I could, but I felt that I was impeded from participating in certain programs because -- quite frankly, I didn't think I had the credentials. William took the time to share some advice with me. He made me aware of so many programs and people that it would be helpful to know.

Then I interrupted him, "but William I don't think they would consider someone like me because I don't have x, y, and z. . ."

He said, "x, y, and z credentials do open doors, but they do not guarantee an artist's success." He added, "friends of mine that have become successful got there because they worked their asses off."

That conversation is one of the keys that unlocked my mind to a world of possibilities.

William Cordova's work can be viewed at:

www.arndt-partner.de look under "artists"
or you can go to
www.icaboston.org
and lastly
http://whitney.org

I will share more people who have influenced me in Houston later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment