Thursday, November 19, 2009

Life in New York as an Artist = Existing on an Island?



I always knew that I wanted to be an artist. However, out of fear, I put it off for many years. Now I have gotten to the point where I just really want to get the ball rolling-- all or nothing. This is one of the main reasons that I moved to New York, because I wanted to be in faster pace, more results oriented environment.

In the beginning, I was slightly alarmed when I faced the reality of hardly knowing anyone here in the city. What now? What next? There is no artists' instruction manual.

Fortunately, things are looking better on that end. I attended William Cordova's opening a few weeks ago, and it was nice to see some familiar faces.

One of those familiar faces was Derrick Adams. Derrick, an artist himself, was also the gallery director at Rush Arts for several years. He is a mover and a shaker, and such a wonderful resource to artists here in New York.

It was also great to reconnect with Rose Ojo, an art writer, who I originally met in Houston.



And of course, it was nice catching up with William and seeing his work.

This weekend, I am headed up to Harlem to the RFA Gallery. They are holding a closing reception for Jack H. White, November 20th, from 6-9pm, 2075 Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Blvd.

2 comments:

  1. New York is my home, but I can't imagine taking the plunge there. Takes real guts! I have made a personal goal this year to build my art career, so I will be taking careful notes as I follow your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you have a good plan, you should totally take the plunge. For me, I already feel that the risk has been well worth it.

    ReplyDelete