Monday, January 25, 2010

The Liberator Magazine "On Beauty: Dawn Okoro"

"LM: I noticed that many of the women in your paintings tend to be dark-skinned and have amazing, perfectly coiffed afros. Is this a conscious decision to address our notions of "traditional" beauty and take on the perennial debates about complexion and hair texture? Also, I was wondering how you felt about Andrea Pippins' recently launched I Love My Hair project. It seems like you two are on the same wavelength visually and conceptually. (www.ilovemyhair.com)

DO: One of the reasons that I have painted the afros is simply because I find them aesthetically pleasing. In some of my paintings, I have taken an image that I saw in a mainstream fashion magazine reformed it. As I continue to create work like this, I do hope to incite conversation about this unconventional beauty that is missing from most of these magazines. My practice does overlap with Andrea's because we’re both putting a spotlight on beauty that hasn't gotten much shine in mainstream culture."
See Full Excerpt Here: http://weblog.liberatormagazine.com/2010/01/on-beauty-dawn-okoro-visual-art.html
(Interview by Danielle Scruggs)

No comments:

Post a Comment