Saturday, January 23, 2010

A New Outlook


One of the most common comments I get about my artwork is that is that it represents a positive image of the black woman. For the most part, I paint whatever I am compelled to paint at that particular point. Looking back, I think that I may have been compelled to fight against certain negative stereotypes.

However, it is very important to me that my work spark a dialogue. I feel that this might be achieved more so in some of my recent work. At face value, these paintings may not necessarily represent a positive image of black women, but I hope that they inspire a conversation about why people adopt certain attributes.

The above painting is related to this blog post I did a few months ago. It is called "Instamatic," it will be exhibited along with other new work at RFA Gallery from January 29 thru March 6, 2010.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to hear you pushing against people's expectations. I've found that being black in the art game comes with a lot of responsibilities and assumptions that I would rather not be concerned with.

    I'm sure being female only adds to that.

    Anyways, this looks awesome! Have a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, what you said pretty much sums it up!

    ReplyDelete