Thursday, January 07, 2010

"Wigs"



I enjoy listening to art lectures on my ipod while I paint. The other day, I was listening to a Lorna Simpson lecture. Lorna is best known for her photography and text work, view her website here.

In the lecture she explained her art piece titled "Wigs." She explains that in the neighborhood where her studio was at the time, there was a wig shop on almost every block. One day, she decided to go to different shops to purchase several wigs. She then mounted the wigs up and photographed them individually. She created "a series of lithographs on felt, composed rather like portraiture. . . her work is a commentary on race, with hair serving as a racial marker of differance, subject to celebration and derision" [per NYU litmed database].

I am very taken aback by the series, simple, elegant and impactful. It also hadn't occurred to me that photos could be printed on felt.

Lorna also has an AMAZING studio here in Brooklyn. It was the first American project by the London-based architect David Adjaye:

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to remove a couple of spam postings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Lorna Simpson! did you catch her and her daughter in that GAP ad a while ago? They are both gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that ad, they were both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I need to look her up and learn more about her work! And look at her studio...wow!

    ReplyDelete