Thursday, April 01, 2010

Value of a Conversation: Lauren Kelley



I recently visited Lauren Kelley's studio; she is an artist in residence at the Studio Museum in Harlem. The Studio Museum's artist in residence program provides artists with a stipend and a space to create their work. I went to see Lauren to chat and ask for some advice.

Lauren's work explores the female disposition in a demanding and oversexed world. Some of her work includes stop-motion animated videos reminiscent of children’s programs that were launched in the 1970s and ´80s. My eyes lit up when I saw the miniature set that she was working on. In addition to the colorful set, there were dozens of Barbie doll bodies, heads and trinkets everywhere-- it all really tapped into the child in me. We went to visit a doll maker who may assist with her current project. I can't wait to see the final product.

She asked me what I was working on. I told her that I had this grand idea, but was unable to make much progress because I didn't feel that I had all the resources that I needed to make it happen. Upon hearing this, Lauren encouraged me to not get stuck on one idea and to experiment using the resources that I do have.

I am now working to move forward, even if that means working in a different medium or using a different method than expected. I don't want what I perceive as a lack of resources put a halt to my creative output.

The Studio Museum is hosting an Artist in Residence Open Studio on April 11th from 1-6pm. This is a great opportunity to meet the artists and preview their new work as they prepare for their upcoming summer exhibition.

Related Post:
People I've Met in Houston Who've Influenced Me - William Cordova

3 comments:

  1. So cool! Thanks so much for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the advice you got from Lauren. I find that my ideas seem grander than my resources too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see you again Dawn... keep running into people who know you in LA and Atlanta :)

    -william c.

    ReplyDelete