Monday, June 14, 2010

Summertime Recollection


Photos by Kelly Wamhoff, 2000

"Summertime Recollection" is a set of 4 paintings I created for the 2009 Texas Biennial. Even though I created these self portraits fairly recently, the various image source materials are more than 10 years old.

In the summer of 2000 I posed in photos for Kelly Wamhoff who was then a photography student. I posed in several outfits and hairstyles throughout Central Austin. One of those places was in front of the "Welcome to Austin" postcard mural painted on the side of Roadhouse Relics (1720 South 1st Street).

The mural was painted by Austin artists Billy Brakhage and Rory Skagen in 1997. It is 10 feet tall and 20 feet wide. It can be seen as a backdrop for countless Christmas cards, band photos, and local magazines.

For the photo of me in front of the mural, Kelly styled me in a purple wig, vintage sleeveless blouse with metallic gold threads, jewelry and jeans. Many years later, I came across the contact sheets from that photo session and felt nostalgic about that summer. I adapted 4 of the photos into paintings, each one oil on canvas with goldleaf to highlight the clothing and jewelry. I painted off-centered borders on each canvas, to give the look of a frame from a filmstrip.



"Summertime Recollection (1,2,3,4)" oil and goldleaf on canvas, each 18x20 inches

For more information about me and my art, please visit my website http://www.dawnokoro.com/.


No comments:

Post a Comment